Monday, March 11, 2013

Where Have All The Good Coupons Gone

I follow quite a few money saving or couponing blogs and am inspired by the people who get lots of groceries for almost nothing.  I use their coupon matching lists, but for some reason I can't seem to get the same results.

One reason is because different areas of the country receive different coupons. While some people share how they get a $2/1 item coupon that came in their newspaper, mine is only for $1 off 3 items.

I live on the East Coast of the US and have found the coupons I receive in my local newspaper to be a bit lacking. Unless of course, you spend a ton of money to buy prepackaged food and the latest shampoos and make-up.

I guess I've come to realize I purchase more basics such as milk, eggs, flour, sugar, fresh fruits and veggies and not as much packaged products.

Even if the item is for a product I would use like paper towels. The available coupons only offer $.40 off a 6 pack. Why buy a more expensive brand just to use a coupon when there are cheaper, just as good, options available.

While I still use coupons for some things such as cat food, dog food, personal items and pizza yeast. Other than on rare occasions I think I will be giving up on coupons. It's not worth the time to search deals, find coupons and cut them all out - only to save $1 or less.  Especially when I used to save $5-10 or more consistently each week not to long ago.

Is anyone else coming to the same realization that I am - that coupons just aren't as useful as they once were?

No comments: