Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Wonderful World of Orthodontics

I mentioned in a previous post that my son has some sensory issues. He doesn't like the light shining in his eyes at the dentist/orthodontist office.

Well actually I have 2 kids that visit the orthodontist on a regular basis. As any mom with kids in orthodontics knows there are different phases of treatment.  Phase 1 is the functionality phase - where they get the teeth and jaw working properly so all the teeth fit correctly. Phase 2 is where all the teeth are lined up to look nice.

One has already finished Phase 1 and one still in Phase 1 of treatment.  My daughter had braces on the top and bottom teeth for just over a year to correct an under bite. Now she has almost perfect looking teeth. Not perfect because she is still waiting for one or two adult teeth to come in, but pretty darn close if you ask me.

My dilemma is our insurance does not cover any orthodontics. We have to pay for it all out of pocket and of course the dentist is already pushing for Phase 2.

I had braces when I was younger and want my children to have nice teeth, but I don't feel they need to be perfect. I always thought perfectly straight teeth looked a bit fake - just look at Ryan Seacrest (sorry I'm not a fan).

Not to mention, the orthodontist runs a business to make money, and of course they are going to recommend more work done. It means more money for them hence keeping themselves in business and there is nothing wrong with that.

So my question is, have any of you felt pressured to get work done simply to improve your child's appearance? What is your opinion on the whole orthodontics issue? Have you heard of legitimate reasons for getting Phase 2?

No comments: