Thursday, November 07, 2013

Shopping on Thanksgiving Day

This week Kmart announced that they would open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day and remain open until 11 p.m. on Black Friday.

When I heard this it made me mad and sad at the same time. The companies are becoming so greedy for profit they will do almost anything. It makes me sad that some people will have to work on Thanksgiving and won't be able to share it with their families.

Now I know some businesses need to keep at least a minimum amount of hours open during the major holidays (grocery stores and gas stations).

It also makes me sad that people would ditch their families and go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Some people I know will eat dinner, skip dessert and go shopping. Really?!!

Thanksgiving is a day of showing thanks for all you have. Why is it followed by, heck almost taken over by, a day that screams spend, shop, you need more?

There are mobs of people out shopping on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  For What?  Do they really need a new TV and will there be any available when get to the store at 3 a.m.? Shopping carts full of stuff that will no doubt be returned the day after Christmas.

Thanksgiving is for spending time with the people in your life. Giving thanks for all you have.

Call me old fashioned, but I miss the time when the holidays actually meant something other than a day to shop or shop for.

No comments: