Thursday, June 27, 2013

Throwing a Party on a Budget

The kids and I have been out running errands all day and thankfully they have been getting along. We are getting ready for a big 4th of July Party all on a very tight budget.

So here's how we are doing it.

Food
We've been getting a little bit each week, so that we won't have a whole lot to buy the week of the party. One week we bought hamburger meat and hotdogs. Another week we bought sodas which we found on sale at Target for $1 (2-liter bottles). Yet another week we bought the ingredients we need for potato salad, macaroni salad, desserts, etc.

The key is to add it into your normal grocery budget or set aside extra money to purchase all the stuff you need at once.

Decorations
I've gotten all the decorations from my fave store, Dollar Tree. I picked up tablecloths, banners, and balloon weights. I always pick up plain colored items, when possible, because they can always be used for other occasions. Red tablecloths can be used on Valentine's Day or 4th of July.

Utensils
We do not have a dishwasher, so parties are the only time I purchase disposable utensils and plates. All of which I got at the dollar store. I want to spend time with my guests not standing over the sink washing dishes so we can have forks for dessert.

Ask Guests for Help
We have a huge extended family and if you are invited to a cook-out, picnic or party you are expected to bring a dish. By asking your guests to bring something small like a side dish, dessert or drinks. Where do you think BYOW (Bring Your Own Whatever) came from?

Start Early
Though this doesn't have to do with budgeting your money it does have to do with budgeting your time and that is to get as much ready for the party ahead of time as possible. Clean, cook and set out as much as you can ahead of time, so you aren't rushing around the day of the party.

So that's how we plan for a party. Please feel free to share your tips below. I'd love to hear them.

No comments: