Monday, May 06, 2013

Stuck Home Alone and Dealing With Depression

I've mentioned before that I'm stuck home without a vehicle until my hubby's vehicle is fixed. Well, in the past I've dealt with bouts of depression or the blues.  Feeling like I'm a burden to my family and friends - sometimes invisible or unwanted/needed (especially when I'm premenstrual). I even had a brief period of postpartum depression after my middle child.

Nothing really serious, but being home alone all day makes it difficult some days to stay positive and keep my spirits up. Hormones go crazy and little or no one to talk to.

Here's how I try to deal with the blues while I'm unable to get out.

Listen to Music
My main form of exercise is dancing. I love music. Listening to music that I can sing or dance to always seems to lift my spirits. Turn on the radio and dance/sing like no one is listening or watching.

Go for a Walk
If possible I go for a walk around the block. A change of scenery, even if only briefly, can help clear your thoughts.

Write it Out
I write all about my feelings in a journal. Letting it all spill out. If you don't want to keep the details in your journal for someone to find, jot it down on a scrap piece of paper and burn it or throw it away.  You can write like you are talking to a dear friend, God or even yourself.

Escape into A Book
I love Christian Romance novels. Some days I curl up on the couch with a blanket and read. It's a brief  little escape from my life and into the Wild West or some other place and time.

Reading the Bible is another a wonderful way to focus on positive, uplifting messages. An example is Matthew 6:26  Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns: yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Get Immersed in a Project
Find a project to preoccupy yourself. I try to start a really fun, creative craft, a home improvement of some sort, work in my yard or garden, or any thing else I can think of.

The key is to keep my mind and body busy till I get through the rough spot.

* Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nurse or any type of health care professional, but these techniques have worked for me and they may work for you. However, if you are feeling depressed please see your primary doctor. 

No comments: