Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Motherhood and Isolation

I've been a mom for 12 1/2 years now and a stay at home mom that entire time. During that time I've dealt with the occasional bout of depression. Normally nothing serious, I just wasn't my normal self.
Only more serious after the birth of my son which I had some wonderful meds help me though those difficult 6 months.

Let's face it being a stay at home mom is challenging with constant feedings, cleaning, laundry and anything else you have going on. However, what about when your kids get older. You have to deal with different personalities, attitudes, wants, needs, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an instruction manual. Unfortunately, everyone has to learn by trial and error.  No doubt that's partially to blame for approximately 26% of stay at home moms experience sadness*.

My kids are 12 1/2, 11 and 8 and they are all in public school during the day. So I'm home most days by myself cleaning, cooking, running errands, blogging, etc. I make sure I get out at least once a week just to see other people.

So, anyways, here are some ways I fight the blues when I start feeling a bit down in the dumps.

* Get out and run errands, shop or window shop - usually in the morning because the stores are full of other moms and nice older people.

* Go for a walk - weather permitting of course

* Turn on some dance music - this almost always works for me. I love to dance!

* Call a friend just to chat

* MOM Club - when my kids were little a group of moms would get together with their kids at a local playground to chat while the kids played.

Most of the time I needed to get out and be around adults. Other times I just needed a new project to work on or something to look forward to.

Any suggestions on how you beat the mommytime blues.

* Source http://www.gallup.com/poll/154685/stay-home-moms-report-depression-sadness-anger.aspx

No comments: