Monday, September 24, 2012

When to Help Your Kid's Friends

I've run into a little dilemma. One of my children's friends has 2 working parents. There is nothing wrong with that - they are doing the best they can. However, he comes over to our house to play a couple times a week and hasn't eaten anything since lunch. His parents work early afternoon until late into the night and so he is watched by his 13 year old brother.

I've invited him to eat with us many times and we love having him over.  My problem is I'm not very close to his mother or father and don't want to offend them.  I feel bad for the little guy (who's only 7) and his older brother.

I know this is not uncommon, but I have always had a mom at home. Plus I've always been home with my kids and I would appreciate it if someone would keep an eye out for my kids if I couldn't be there for them all the time. I simply couldn't send the kid home hungry and say your brother has to take care of you when he is just a kid himself.

Do you think I'm overstepping my bounds as a neighbor? Any advice?

No comments: